Monday 16 October 2017

Bulls and Lions


'Bulls and Lions' was written in 1983.

It was recorded in February 2018.

"I was the bull, brave resourceful
And strong in my younger day. 
Red blood sang in an arrogant frame
Swollen with pride and display.

I never craved pardon, 'twas never my fault!
I would live my young life to the full!
And once mighty lions respectfully knelt
In the presence of the raging bull.

Anxious, where once they were thoughtful,
Timid, where they used to be bold,
Round the fringes they'd sniff,
Old limbs cold and stiff,
And only the grave to console.

Contemptuous, brutal, mightily careless
With the weak and the meek and the cattle,
I would sharpen my rage
On frailty and age
To prepare for the forthcoming battle.

'You pale, who quail and cringe and crawl,
Go hide whilst I fight for your honour!
And, when I prevail, bring your woman to me,
That I may sire bull children upon her!'

Over the lands of my ancestors
I careered unbridled and free.
Through county, then kingdom and continent,
No frontier held terrors for me!

Brimful of fury and passion,
I challenged all-comers to fight!
And ferocity, pride and firm resolve
All fled the field in fright!

Leaving the sick and crippled
In their haste to be departed.
Long-standing feud and love affair
Were similarly discarded.

Old grey bears with broken claws,
Shuffling dogs on painful paws,
Toothless ape, of stumbling gait,
Like scarecrows, gather to whisper and wait.
Whilst man, the ancient masterpiece,
Too long the greatest of the beasts,
Befouler of the gods' most glittering prize,
On twisted limbs, with sightless eyes,
Head down, back bent and senses leaden,
Limps out, resigned, to Armageddon..."


No comments:

Post a Comment