Sunday 15 January 2017

What Price War?


'What Price War' was written in 1981. 
"What price for my child, do I have in mind?
For her, a new life; for me, only pray.
From bloodshed and tears and peace treaties signed
With bullet and bomb, please take her away!

Tell me of both sides, which way lies the right?
Give me a world where I don't have to fight!

Give them a gun, send them to war,
Stuff them with glory and power,
Colour their grey with red ribbon and star
And bemedal the men of the hour.

Tell not of both sides, only one can be right!
But give them a cause, for to die, for to fight!

It is your duty to protect the weak
From force and aggression and barbaric masses,
By making quite sure they're armed to the teeth
With bullet and bomb and poisonous gasses.

You are all for both sides, who cares which is right?
You want a world where both sides can fight.

What price for my father, my brother, my child,
What price for my village and glowing rice crop
Now turned into dust, by napalm defiled?
The price is too high, I want it to stop!

Whose side are you on? Which way will you turn?
When both sides are gone and your children burn?"

No comments:

Post a Comment