Sunday 15 October 2017

The Cage


'I dreamed the dream of my father
Once again last night.
And, as it will, the sleeping dark
Rose briefly into light.

It prompted me, impulsively,
To reach out toward him there,
To be together with him,
Once more warm and living,
All around me, everywhere.
My father's frame, so sad and slight
And poorly in his death,
Had loosed a bird of paradise,
To tempt his spirit up and rise
And once again draw breath.

Upon the broad back of a thousand stars
My father's soul did climb
And, effortless, up they both did soar
Into another time.

My great, grand father, on high in flight,
Then waved away into goodnight
That Phoenix was his guide.
Preferring now to test the power,
New found in that momentous hour,
Since a man had died.

Joyous then he spread his wings,
One high kite free of mortal strings
Ascending into sun.
Beyond a blue and cloudless sky
To where the light and loved ones lie
And night comes for no one.

All thoughts were sweet...'

No comments:

Post a Comment