Saturday 14 October 2017

Working Girl


This was written in 1978 and recorded in 2017.
"She was a warm and working girl,
How could I not but fall.
A damp, unhappy grammar school boy
Was no contest at all.

She was a warm and working girl,
I was a waste of space.
A bashful, stammering grammar school lad
Who hadn't even made first base.

I knew my Latin essentials,
She knew her silk underwear.
I had the paper credentials,
She had the savoir-faire.

I gave her Mick Jagger in National Health specs,
An A-level 8-out-of-10.
She gave me swagger and pneumatic sex
And proof that I was a man. 

I thought I was the man for her
When I was still but a grammar school boy,
And she cashed me in for a coal miner,
Whom I suppose was the real McCoy. 

So forgive me if I'm distant
And my thoughts are far away
And I'm frugal with affection
And rarely come out to play. 

I'd like to join you out there
With your passions still intact
But my heart is mostly elsewhere,
Loves not something I can act. 

For I am still sleepwalking
In a desert of broken heart.
If I had only been eighteen,
I think then I might not have been
Disqualified after one false start."

No comments:

Post a Comment