Tuesday 10 October 2017

My Son


Dad wrote this poem in 1982 and recorded it yesterday! (19 October 2017)


My son will will be a strong man, a warrior and a king,
He will be a wise man and a lover.
My son will hear my old dreams and breathe me them to life,
My son will be a good son to his mother.

His father was a bastard, his granddad was the same,
I've never known a man who didn't hurt.
But my boy will be a good boy and care for me, I know,
He'll drop the next one tries to lift my skirt.

My son will go to Eton, Oxford, then the bar,
My son will marry money and no other.
He'll ride to hounds with Duke and Earl, play polo with the Prince
And still he'll have a soft spot for his mother.

My son will be a fighting many, a writer of the wrong,
He will campaign until the battle's won,
And some thousands on the other side will surely rue the day
They dared to raise their hand against my son.

My son will be a balladeer, an artist and a poet,
He'll play the final chord in the hearts of men.
He'll paint the beauty, sing the love,
And write the words none ever thought of
That treat the truth as though it were a friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment